Friday, June 27, 2008

First Post Ever

I set this blog up when I first got here, and haven't used it since. Yesterday I was riding in a car. It was the typical, stop and go, near misses with huge dump trucks decked out like pinball machines, etc. We passed by some of those concrete and rebar structures could either be buildings under construction or long since abandoned. I was watching the auto rickshaw in front of us as it weaved in and out of oncoming traffic, then onto the shoulder for a bit, then back in front of us, and I got a weird feeling. At first I thought it was the prescription cough medicine the pharmacy down the street had sold me for 40 rupees. They told I should take it with food, but we had to leave at 6 in the morning, so I had missed breakfast. …but then it dawned on me. I noticed that everything I was looking at was starting to look kind of normal. That made me think about how I’ve been in India for a month now, and then I remembered that I had set this blog up, and thought that if I was going to do anything with it, I ought to get started. So here it goes...

I was in that car because we were visiting a branch office of the United India Insurance company in Thrissur, in Kerala. We took the train there in the morning, and had a pretty busy day. We also visited a beneficiary of the micro life insurance scheme we're working on, to get some input on a survey we're creating to help CASP get a better idea of the beneficiaries' perceptions of the program, presented some program monitoring tools we created for a microcredit-type program, and visited a hospital where CASP is running another program. Actually, CASP has a lot going on in the area. It's also running a medical camp and a child sponsorship project. It wasn't the first time we'd gone to Thrissur. We took the train there two weeks ago, too. That's when I took this video:

No comments: